South Congress Avenue spans roughly seven miles from Slaughter Lane to the bridge over Lady Bird Lake, where it becomes North Congress Avenue.
A section of South Congress north of Ben White Boulevard is home to St. Edward’s University, a private Catholic liberal arts college. The area around campus contains a mix of established restaurants and small businesses as well as condominiums and retail properties.
1. Scoops, shakes and sundaes are showcased at Amy’s Ice Creams. The 3100 S. Congress, Ste. 3A branch is one of 12 in the Austin area. 851-2697, www.amysicecreams.com
2. El Borrego de Oro, 3900 S. Congress Ave., has been serving traditional Mexican fare since 1995. The restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and offers live music on Sundays. 866-609-1572, www.elborregodeoro.com
3. Crow Bar’s menu features speciality drinks and cold beers. 3116 S. Congress Ave., www.crowbaraustin.com
4. Fresh Mexican food is the focus of El Gallo Mexican Restaurant. The eatery, located at 2910 S. Congress Ave., offers a full food and drink menu and a party room that seats 90 people. 444-2205, www.elgallorestaurant.com
5. Flacos Tacos Inc. serves Mexican and Tex-Mex fare. 3632 S. Congress Ave., 444-2767
6. Cuban and Caribbean meals are available at Habana SoCo, 2728 S. Congress Ave. The restaurant, which opened in 2001, has happy hour specials in addition to its lunch and dinner offerings. 443-4252, www.habanaaustin.com
7. Opel Divine’s Penn Field, 3601 S. Congress Ave., features popular American dishes. Brunch is available Saturday and Sunday. The restaurant has three locations in Austin. 707-0237, www.opaldivines.com
8. Coffee, drinks and pizza are served up at Stomping Grounds Coffee and Cocktail Lounge, 3801 S. Congress Ave. The lounge also holds karaoke nights, live music and special events. 394-6999, www.stompinggroundsaustin.com
9. Ben White Florist, 3200 S. Congress Ave., sells flower arrangements for special occasions. The florist also sells tulips, roses and corsages. 447-3577, www.benwhiteflorist.com
10. Skateboards and apparel can be purchased at Black Eye Skate Shop, 3801 S. Congress Ave., Ste. 111. 445-9941, www.facebook.com/pages/Black-Eye-Skate-Shop/121068551249335
11. Black Orchid Salon offers hair coloring, styling, haircuts, shampoos and chemical services. Manicures and pedicures also available. 3801 S. Congress Ave., 326-1010, www.blackorchidsalon.com
12. Capitol Rubber Stamp sells stamps, engravings and notary equipment, among other products. 3314 S. Congress Ave., 447-0335, www.capstamp.com
13. Giant Media offers public relations and marketing consulting to corporations and small businesses. 2900 S. Congress Ave., Ste. 106. 462-4666, www.giantmediallc.com
14. Self-defense and mind and body conditioning are taught at Goju-Ryu Karate-Do Seiwakai. The karate school offers adult classes and private instruction. 3001 S. Congress Ave., 589-4900, www.karateaustin.com
15. Great Outdoors Nursery specializes in seasonal and perennial plants and gardening necessities. Classes, organic products and gifts are also for sale. 2730 S. Congress Ave., 448-2992, www.gonursery.com
16. Fitness and dance studio NiaSpace offers Pilates, yoga, Zumba and bellydancing among its class options. 443-3013, www.niaspace.com
17. Simply Austin Furniture has sold home furnishings since 2009. Living room, dining room and bedroom furniture is for sale in a variety of styles and prices. 3405 S. Congress Ave, 447-5151, www.simplyaustinfurniture.com
18. The wedding planners and event coordinators at Something to Celebrate can create events to personal specifications. 2900 S. Congress Ave., 733-6130, www.somethingtocelebrate.biz
19. Strut, 3011 S. Congress Ave., Ste. 1F, sells fashionable women’s clothing and accessories. The store is one of five statewide. 707-1523, www.shopstrut.com
20. Addiction and Psychotherapy Services offers outpatient and psychological/psychiatric services for people addicted to opiates. 444-5092, www.austinmethadone.com
21. Boarding, examinations, surgeries and preventative medicine can be scheduled through South Congress Veterinary Clinic, 3300 S. Congress Ave., 442-7444
This is a sample of businesses and organizations in the area. The list is not comprehensive.