Courtesy Grapevine Convention & Visitors Bureau
Grapevine welcomed glockenspiel "would-be" train robbers in the clock tower of the new Convention & Visitors Bureau headquarters and museum complex during the 28th Annual Main Street Days. And festival-goers spent the weekend enjoying the city's historic downtown and participating in a grilling competition, Legoland Discovery Center's Junior Builder Competition and Roma's Pizza Toss Academy.
But although participation was high in this year's competitions and tens of thousands enjoyed the three-day kickoff to summer, CVB spokewoman Leigh Lyons said the festival saw a nearly 7 percent drop in attendance.
"That is due mainly to the extensive highway closings and traffic disruptions that were going on throughout the weekend with the DFW Connector project," she said. "We feel Main Street Days was very successful this year and we were pleased with the attendance this year."
Though it was a drop from 2011's record-setting numbers, 150,292 people attended this year's Main Street Days compared to 160,990 last year.
In addition to road closures and traffic congestion surrounding the festival, this year's Main Street Days also had a lot of competition in the area. Other events occurring on the same weekend included the Taste of Addison, the Pasadena Strawberry Festival, the 34th Annual Bluebonnet Festival and the Cherokee Creek Music Festival in Dallas.
Main Street Days organizers focused on what was happening in Grapevine, though, Lyons said. And here in Grapevine, festival-goers were gorging themselves on pizza as part of the second annual Pizza Pavillion.
Awards were given to businesses in the following categories:
- People's Pizza Pick (Gold): Farina’s Winery & Café
- People's Pizza Pick (Silver): Palio’s Pizza Café
- People's Pizza Pick (Bronze): Napoli’s Italian Cafe
- Best Hand-Tossed Pizza: Amore’s Pasta & Pizza
- Best Dressed Booth: Palio’s Pizza Cafe
- Best Rookie Participant: Boston’s the Gourmet Pizza of Grapevine
- Best Showmanship: Papa Murphy’s
- Most Unique: Fratelli Pizza
- Best Thin Crust: California Pizza Kitchen
- Best Thick Crust: Napoli’s Italian Café
- Mr. Main Street Day’s Chairman’s Choice: Farina’s Winery & Café
- Mrs. Main Street Day’s Chairman’s Choice: Cliff’s Star Grill
The 29th Annual Main Street Days is scheduled for May 17-19, 2013.